The number one forum community for videogames and online gaming!

HomeHome  FTW ChatroomFTW Chatroom  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Similar topics
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 52 on Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:34 pm
Latest topics
» So, what've you all been up to?
Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:43 pm by frozentreasure

» Splatoon - The best shooter of the last decade?
Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:41 am by StarRoadWarrior

» Lets Play!
Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:47 am by frozentreasure

» So, anyone still here?
Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:16 am by SmashedBrother

» Super Smash Bros. on Wii U and 3DS!
Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:43 pm by StarRoadWarrior

» Gaming to do list
Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:21 pm by StarRoadWarrior

» StarRoadWarrior's Blog?
Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:34 pm by StarRoadWarrior

» Just Completed (insert game name)
Thu May 22, 2014 11:01 pm by l33tsmasher

» Woooooow! I bet no one remembers your 105 year old member :(
Fri May 02, 2014 1:21 am by SmashedBrother

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 116 registered users
The newest registered user is nellradxkv

Our users have posted a total of 18060 messages in 766 subjects

Share | 

Subs or Dubs?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator

Number of posts : 2293

PostSubject: Subs or Dubs?   Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:26 am

I'm wondering wha you guys think about the difference between Subtitles in anime, and English dubbing. I know there's a HUGE debate about this mong anime fans, many of whom feel it is more authentic to watch the Japanese version...especially when American voice actors do a miserable job.

Personally I agree with that...I've seen some animes where the voice acting is just terrible...for example, maybe it's just me, but Naruto's English voice can really drive me crazy sometimes! lol

But at the same time, there have been some English Dubs that I've really loved. The voices in Cowboy Bebop, Big O, or Death Note were really very good...sometimes you don't even notice it was ever in Japanese at all! And there's always the issue of reading titles...sure i can do it, but in a fast paced anime it can become tedious and distracting...plus there are some great English Voice actors out there Like Chris Sabbat, Steve Blum, Wendee Lee, etc that really know how to act the part and put tons of emotion into it...

So while it is close for me, I think I'm going to go with Dubbing...I know real anime fans would beat for saying that but it's how i feel! lol

--Which would you prefer? Cheap Happiness or sublime suffering?
Perhaps sometimes ignorance really is bliss...

Last edited by ForsakenLament 04 on Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://ftwgamingnetwork.one-forum.net
StarRoadWarrior
Administrator

Number of posts : 3626

PostSubject: Re: Subs or Dubs?   Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:06 pm

this is a really good question

as for fight now im 50/50 on the subject

i lean more to subtitles than i do the dubbed ones because the episode is told the way it is suppose to. however the reading the text in english and the voice acting in japan is a little distracting and the fact that the talk REALLY fast. but the good thing is that the story is the way it is suppose to

the dubbed is easy to understand but its hard to pass that its not the same story

that is why im 50/50 but like the subtitles a little better

imitationissuicide

Number of posts : 35

PostSubject: Re: Subs or Dubs?   Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:07 pm

Well, before I'd have leaned toward dubbing, it's pretty good and barely has any discrepancies between the mouth movements of the character and the translation of the dub actor(?). However, what bothers me about dubs is the editing. The editing takes so much out of the story. For example, a character gets stabbed or something, but guess what? There's no blood! Seriously, that's what I hate about dubs and the only people I can blame are all the little kids who wandered into anime which is aimed toward a more mature audience. So, for this reason, I'd have to say that I like subs better. There is genuine emotion in the Japanese voice actors' lines, unlike in some dubs. Plus, the content remains the way it was supposed to be, unedited. I don't mind reading subs as long as I get the story line in its unpolluted form. What's more, reading subs and listening to the Japanese language eventually gets you to pick up some words and phrases which I find great because I'm picking up a new language and I'm enjoying myself. For these simple reasons I lean more towards subs and not dubs.

I really wan to see Ena's opinion on this matter. And I know that some people won't bother reading this because "it's too long." If you're one of those people, SCREW YOU! lol
Back to top Go down
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Subs or Dubs?   Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:36 pm

All valid points Carlos. I can definitely see the benefit of learning the language through the show, AND the damage that's done to animes through editing. From what I've heard, animes like Yu-gi-oh were much more violent and mature than American Edifting makes it appear to be...i agree this ruins the anime...especially with animes that are religated to the little kid audience...

At the same time however, I was just watching a subtitled episode of Death Note, and noticed that a lot of sentences made little sense or at the very least had gramatical errors. I've seen this before in other animes...not all the time, but frequently enough...it's not a big a deal as messing up the dialogue completely, but it can become annoying.

As for the voice actors, I think both sides can be passionate...but for some reason i seem to have a harder time feeling the emotions through a sub than through a dub, but then again, that depends on the voice actor...I suppose given your points, I am more inclined towards Subs, but I can't help but still lean towards dubs...maybe someone else as a ground-breaking opinion on the matter.

Back to top Go down
imitationissuicide

Number of posts : 35

PostSubject: Re: Subs or Dubs?   Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:52 pm

Ena has an opinion, he just refuses to offer it...
As for the grammatical mistakes and whatnot, it all depends on the "company" that did the subtitles. Dattebayo Fansubs is one of the best out there, they do Naruto and Bleach and other anime series. Just a random fact, did you know that subbing isn't actually legal? Because by subbing the anime I belive it's the same as claiming rights to it or something. That's why Dattebayo urges users to download episodes from its site(Dattebayo.com) instead of using networking sites (Youtube). Anyway, I still go with subs... and if you do plan to watch it from a networking site, go to anime-media.com or vids.myspace.com (this is called a loophole lol).
Back to top Go down
firegremlin

Number of posts : 2244

PostSubject: Re: Subs or Dubs?   Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:06 pm

wow...I must congratulate you cory, you've managed to make carlos post more than once in the one month let alone in the same thread. that's a feat to be proud of lol
~firegremlin~
Back to top Go down
---

Number of posts : 63

PostSubject: Re: Subs or Dubs?   Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:36 pm

ok here we go again >.> it's been 3 times now that when I write comments, they dont get trough, I now know why tho XD, because if you have 2 windos open on the brotherhood, chat and comments area, after a time, you have to sign in again, dont know why tho lol, thus erasing all that you took care and time to seriously write XD.

now for my comment =D

ok theres a REALY BIG difference between you guys and me in 2 points,

1- I'm french, so that makes english to my eyes a different language to listen to and see, french dubing makes me cry tears of blood T.T BUT thats because it's my native language so for the same reason, you guys dont appreciate the english as much as me also, you might not like english dub because you hear it all the time lol
here, it's only french so wheneer I hear english, it's different also I find english to have more strengh in words then french thus making the anime itself more enjoyable and easyer to picture in the emotional field.

2- I buy my anime, you guys most likely watch it onlyne, the difference I'm trying to point here is not on a personnal level,
FANSUBS are much more detailed, they , the people how take pride and sacrifice considerable time in the making of it, are brilliants minds that think of others and perfect there japanese at the same time, if I compare the quality of the subs I actually see in the anime I have, that come dirrectly from japan and weren't edited by funimation *to name only 1 compagny*, to the one you guys see onlyne, FANSUB, it's really crappy, most of the time, the meaning of words are off and it's not rare that the subs miss whole sentences, making it really hard to follow the story line and imposile to get attached to the emotional flow of the anime.

also, as carlos mentionned, it's good to watch subs anime becaue it makes you learn japanese here and there

I shall add that I sometimg watching the same anime in jaanese and english to see the wrok of both voice cover most of the time, it's good in both but there are anime where the dub do not follow the pictures making a time difference between the action and the voice, like something fall on the floor, and the sound reaches us 3 sec after it only have to be 1 second to make a great anime into a really annoying thing

So for thees reasons, I like boththey have strengh and weaknesses but they are enjoyable to watch for different reasons
Back to top Go down
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Subs or Dubs?   Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:09 pm

I feel your pain En, coincidentally this is the second time i will have to make this very post for the very same reason! ugggh!

Anyway, I think it is interesting to hear the opinion of someone who's first language is French. While I'm sure there are French dubs or subs, I'm guessing they are a good deal more difficult to find...as for English, I agree that emotions are better expressed through english voice work...of course, that doesn't mean the japanesevoices don't have emotion, it simply means that it is easier to gather from a recognizeable language(and from decent voice acting).

At the same time, I do take issue with mis-interpretations of the original dialogue. I want the REAL story, not something that has been modified or edited...but i suppose the only ay to really get that would be to actually speak Japanese...

Back to top Go down
---

PostSubject: Re: Subs or Dubs?   Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:03 am

lol cory, I was in fact refering to the difference in emotion of French compared to english, french words are pretty much empty...

and I reall like japanese dub, they really put there hearts in the dub when they feel ain and despair, when they cry but it's true that when there is a rather normal situation, it's hard to get the variations of emotion in there voice, it's, like the japanese themselfs, very subtle it's like when they mock someone, they really dont let it show much
so compare to english, there is a world of difference but I think it's more of a diffeence in culture then anything else

As for missinterpretation of dialogue, I thik that you cant really compare the subs you see onlyne to the dubbing you see in the US, here are the reasons
1- fansubs are already eddited, they sometime change words and sentences to fit the story line and give the characters a personnality, changing japanese to english isn't easy, there are words that cant even express japanese words as there are english words that cant be put in japanese, *meaningfully*

2-compagny like funimation do a good editing in my oppinion a bit for the same reasons as I mentioned higher, interpreting japanese in there own words is hard and I personnaly never noticed that big of a difference, do you have some exemple of animes that you think are badly edited?
Back to top Go down
firegremlin

PostSubject: Re: Subs or Dubs?   Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:43 pm

I would just like to agree with whoever said putting in subs takes out blood and the such. in the first (mabye second) naruto episode, when naruto does his transformation in front of the grand elder he gets a nosebleed and falls off his chair in the japanese versoin but in the dubbed one he just falls off his chair for no reasonand is later seen wiping his nose..but why? for this reason I would say I prefer subs over dubs. but, in death note the english voices are much better than japanese voices and naruto's voice is VERY annoying in english! so, overall, I don't really mind either one and I'd watch both but am not leaning towards any particular so far.
~firegremlin~
Back to top Go down
---

PostSubject: Re: Subs or Dubs?   Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:31 pm

well as for me, as far as blood go, there are ahows for that and other that dont need it, if you watch gore shows, it's 100% sure that they wont cut the gore seens because it's the reason why people buy it on the ther hand, I dont watch shows for blood, I watch them for the storyline as long as there's no over exegerations in the cut scenes, I'm wiling to watch them, and beside I think that the exemple fire putted out is more relative of sexuality then blood itself, kids needen't not know the reason for his bleeding XD

and recently I've seen an anime I was watching the japanese version and there was cut scenes in the japanese version, scenes like characters walking toward smething and stuff, that is bad to cut them...
seeing different angles of the characters and seeing there living space is pretty important to familiarise with the character in my opponion
Back to top Go down
StarRoadWarrior
Administrator

Number of posts : 3626

PostSubject: Re: Subs or Dubs?   Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:27 pm

you guys write to much Razz but i do agree with what everyone has said that they edit and change the episodes to fit what they "want" them to see or hear. one example of this is the first pokemon movie. they one that we saw was a movie where mewtwo wanted to take over the world to prove that he was the strongest pokemon. the japan movie he was angry that he was not born a normal pokemon and wanted revenge. that plus a lot of religious reference was taken out.

waaar81

Number of posts : 2366

PostSubject: Re: Subs or Dubs?   Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:55 pm

Man you guys really write ALOT!

Well for me its more subs! The only reason reason is that I prefer always the original version and that includes the voice, the emotion in the voice and the scenes (like most of you pointed some scenes gets cut and the sound delay). And this is not just for anime but other movies too. Since Im in a french province like Ena my first language (after turkish) is french also. But I never liked watching english moves in french. Even when I was a kid I prefered watching english cartoons while I didnt understand half of the stuff said. So I go for original version and say subz are better!
Back to top Go down
http://watchbleachepisodesonline.50webs.com/bleach_episode_guide
firegremlin

PostSubject: Re: Subs or Dubs?   Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:38 pm

I know I have already voiced my opinion on this but I've re-thought it. In DN I much prefer dubs because of many reasons the strongest of which being the Light's and Ryuk's voice sounds much better and I'm too lazy to read the subs and listen the story. some of you have said that using subs is good for learning japanese but most people aren't bothered about it and anyway, does it really help?
in spite of this, naruto and other animes are much better in subs. there is a lot of editing in dubbed naruto which ruins the effect of it and lessens the appeal of watching dubs. even more annoying about dubs in naruto is naruto's voice in english! it's so bad and half the time he's constantly shouting for no reason.

so in conclusion, I say that it's all to do with which animes you watch - some are better in dubs while others with subs. it's all relative to your own preferences. if anyone is against this then bring it on! I enjoy a good old argument Twisted Evil
~firegremlin~
Back to top Go down
---

PostSubject: Re: Subs or Dubs?   Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:08 pm

I love arguying too =D

one thing I haven't seen pointed out and I feel is very important is that when you watch subs anime, you find yourself reading the subs and miss a lot on the ctual action going on

also fire, watching anime in japanese DOES help, but you have to watch quite a lot before you catch on to words and sentences you catch keywords here and there, you wont be able to have a chat with a japanese but it's fun to have some hint on whats going on in conversations =D
Back to top Go down
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Subs or Dubs?   Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:40 pm

That's true En! I haven't learned any Japanese from watching subs, but my girlfriend has...she surprised me one time by saying all these Japanese words! Can she speak fluently? no, but it's still cool to know the language.

So I guess it comes down to whether you want anime to be a learning and authentic experience, or a more simple, entertaining experience...

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Subs or Dubs?   

Back to top Go down

Subs or Dubs?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1