The number one forum community for videogames and online gaming!

HomeHome  FTW ChatroomFTW Chatroom  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Similar topics
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 52 on Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:34 pm
Latest topics
» So, what've you all been up to?
Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:43 pm by frozentreasure

» Splatoon - The best shooter of the last decade?
Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:41 am by StarRoadWarrior

» Lets Play!
Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:47 am by frozentreasure

» So, anyone still here?
Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:16 am by SmashedBrother

» Super Smash Bros. on Wii U and 3DS!
Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:43 pm by StarRoadWarrior

» Gaming to do list
Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:21 pm by StarRoadWarrior

» StarRoadWarrior's Blog?
Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:34 pm by StarRoadWarrior

» Just Completed (insert game name)
Thu May 22, 2014 11:01 pm by l33tsmasher

» Woooooow! I bet no one remembers your 105 year old member :(
Fri May 02, 2014 1:21 am by SmashedBrother

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 116 registered users
The newest registered user is nellradxkv

Our users have posted a total of 18060 messages in 766 subjects

Share | 

Mmm, filling...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Mmm, filling...   Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:34 pm

Really, are the fillers, in any anime, worth watching? Share your thoughts.
Back to top Go down
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator

Number of posts : 2293

PostSubject: Re: Mmm, filling...   Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:25 pm

Well personally I've noticed that fillers are used in animes that are enormously popular, like DBZ, Bleach, Inuyasha, Pokemon, and Naruto. Why? Because they rake in tons of cash, and fans will watch them regardless of how meaningless they are.

Personally, I think they hurt the story of a good anime, and really cheapen the show as a whole...I like a short anime that prizes story more than anything else. That's why animes like Cowboy Bebop, Death Note, and others are looked at as real works of art(at least in my view). I think a good story knows when to end.

--Which would you prefer? Cheap Happiness or sublime suffering?
Perhaps sometimes ignorance really is bliss...
Back to top Go down
http://ftwgamingnetwork.one-forum.net

PostSubject: Re: Mmm, filling...   Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:16 pm

You like to mention those shows a lot, it's almost enough to make me consider about thinking of whether or not to decide about the possibility of maybe if I feel like it going and watching them then talking about them in the forums. But probably not.

Yes, I agree with that statement about the fillers, even though I've never seen it quite as bad as Naruto, when they just threw almost 100 episodes of filler, before just going on to a new series anyway, I'm glad I found that out about 5 episodes in to the fillers and went ahead to shippuden, though in retrospect, by the time I had finished all of them I wouldn't have had to wait as long to see some of the episodes I wanted to...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mmm, filling...   Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:05 pm

The only purpose fillers serve are to either delve deeper into obscure characters or to tell a convincing story about a certain event that has not been made clear in the canon. Another reason fillers come into existence is dependant on the occurring manga itself. For instance, in the case of Naruto and Bleach, it's well-known that the mangas are still in production. In order to keep the anime running, they have to avoid catching up to the manga unless its come to an end. But I do agree that fillers can hurt the anime's canon and ultimately hurt the anime itself by reputation such as Naruto. Although I will admit, some fillers are quite entertaining.
Back to top Go down
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Mmm, filling...   Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:19 am

I guess I can see your point Luis. I'm not sure if anyone watched Inuyasha, but there were some decent filler episodes in it(even though it would eventually kill the anime, for me at least) and even Naruto had some...but the makers of the anime should realize that over-use will only hurt things. I know they're waiting for the manga, but maybe sometimes the audience should wait a bit... Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mmm, filling...   Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:12 am

ForsakenLament 04 wrote:
I guess I can see your point Luis. I'm not sure if anyone watched Inuyasha, but there were some decent filler episodes in it(even though it would eventually kill the anime, for me at least) and even Naruto had some...but the makers of the anime should realize that over-use will only hurt things. I know they're waiting for the manga, but maybe sometimes the audience should wait a bit... Rolling Eyes

I've only seen a couple of eps for Inuyasha. And I agree that its best for people to wait on new, canon episodes rather than frugal episodes. Currently, Naruto Shippuuden has gone back to filler which in this case doesn't make any sense to me because the manga is so far ahead that they could simply make canon episodes. I will say though, the animation quality for Shippuuden has improved a great deal. And the fillers for this arc aren't really that bad but I'd really wish that they'd stick with canon for now since there's so much to cover.
Back to top Go down
SilensCaelum

Number of posts : 616

PostSubject: Re: Mmm, filling...   Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:11 pm

All of my favorite animes have under 30 episodes. And there is a reason for that. I can't stand watching those "long animes", long as in over 100 episodes long! That's just too much!

Think of it this way, an anime is basically the same thing as an average television show. And most television shows usually have good episodes in their first, second, and third seasons. Very rarely are TV shows good until the end (some series have over 10 seasons, and I can almost guarantee that the last 5 seasons are crap.) Good things need to end, I don't care what it is. Too much of anything is never good, you will eventually get bored of it.

Here is a list of my favorite animes:

Trigun (26 episodes)

Cowboy Bebop (26 episodes)

Serial Experiments Lain (13 episodes)

Paranoia Agent ( 13 episodes)

Outlaw Star (26 episodes)

I can bet that any one of those animes I listed has a better, more clear story than any of the animes that have over 100 episodes.
Back to top Go down
http://Last.fm.com/thestardweller
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Mmm, filling...   Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:13 am

Don't forget Death Note, which ended at 26 as well.

Like I said before, all it comes down to is money. Bleach and Naruto are infamous for this...they can create as much filler as they want, because they know people are still going to watch it, and they know people will fork over a lot of cash for the DVD's, which often give you only a few eps for a premium price. Fillers are BS, and they hurt animes which could otherwise be great. End of story.

Back to top Go down
guest 34

PostSubject: Re: Mmm, filling...   Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:30 am

Bleach and Naruto have more fillers than anything, and I still love them. If you don't like it, JUST SKIP IT! I mean, DBZ was a filler-fest, but we all still love it, am i right?

Death Note and Trigun were amazing, but they were kind of short. What's wrong with having more of a good thing. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Guest 41

PostSubject: Re: Mmm, filling...   Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:24 pm

Yea, but it seems like fillers are just a way of charging people WAY too much money for box sets. I love DBZ, and paid a heafty price for it! I am anti-filler all the way. It's a conspiracy!!! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Mmm, filling...   Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:46 pm

That's what I've been saying for years guest! lol But I know it's likely because the anime's just trying to catch up with the manga....although it is a pain in the you know what to pay for all of those episodes if you want to buy a box set or something.

Back to top Go down
Everlong

Number of posts : 156

PostSubject: Re: Mmm, filling...   Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:49 pm

Yeah...filler is essentially the biggest problem with anime: trying to keep up with the manga, it falls into the rut of not cutting out unnecessary stories. The biggest offenders are, and not unintentionally I think, a lot of the serialized, big name manga (One Piece, Bleach, Dragon Ball, etc.). They can get away with this sort of thing because they know people will still tune in and/or buy the series because of its brand name alone.

Is that right? Well, depends, I think. It doesn't interfere with the artist's and/or author's original vision for the story, but at the same time, not every detail is necessary. If you want stuff like that, of course, there's always the option to read the manga yourself. Wink

Cultural differences also have to be taken into consideration, as well. I'm not sure how the Japanese like their stories structured, but they do seem to like their flashbacks. Another explanation is that it's only really annoying because you can see all the episodes at once - if the series has a couple of episodes per week, or even month, then you'd probably take anything they'd put out too. A lot of fans wouldn't have the luxury in Japan of buying the series or a set of DVDs or what you will when the series is first airing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mmm, filling...   

Back to top Go down

Mmm, filling...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1