The number one forum community for videogames and online gaming!

HomeHome  FTW ChatroomFTW Chatroom  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Similar topics
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 52 on Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:34 pm
Latest topics
» So, what've you all been up to?
Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:43 pm by frozentreasure

» Splatoon - The best shooter of the last decade?
Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:41 am by StarRoadWarrior

» Lets Play!
Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:47 am by frozentreasure

» So, anyone still here?
Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:16 am by SmashedBrother

» Super Smash Bros. on Wii U and 3DS!
Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:43 pm by StarRoadWarrior

» Gaming to do list
Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:21 pm by StarRoadWarrior

» StarRoadWarrior's Blog?
Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:34 pm by StarRoadWarrior

» Just Completed (insert game name)
Thu May 22, 2014 11:01 pm by l33tsmasher

» Woooooow! I bet no one remembers your 105 year old member :(
Fri May 02, 2014 1:21 am by SmashedBrother

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 116 registered users
The newest registered user is nellradxkv

Our users have posted a total of 18060 messages in 766 subjects

Share | 

GTA4/SR2 Review and comparison

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
StarRoadWarrior
Administrator

Number of posts : 3626

PostSubject: GTA4/SR2 Review and comparison   Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:30 am

im running short on time so look for the review for the 2 very soon in the mean time check out the trailers for the 2 games

StarRoadWarrior
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: GTA4/SR2 Review and comparison   Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:47 am

this may be a really long post so get ready for a book of post (lol)

first off im not sure which game is trying to be more like the other meaning is SR trying to be more like GTA or the other way around (i will explain that more later)

GAMEPLAY:

both games have similar gameplay. both games are a 3rd person shooter, sandbox city, driving game. both games take place in a some what real city. GTA is Liberty City AKA New York. SR takes place in stillwater which is 2 cities in one care to guess what the 2 are???.... its based heavily on the likes of Detroit and Chicago (hmmmm chicago a large drug city filled with gangs..... i can see that Razz)

GTA

Grand Theft Auto IV is a sandbox-style action-adventure video game developed by Rockstar North. It is the fourth 3D game in the Grand Theft Auto series, the sixth console release, and the eleventh game overall. in GTA you play as Niko that in the beginning was just trying to get a new and better life but soon it is reviled that Niko is out to kill some traitors of the war that he was in. and depending on your choose will you kill them or let them live that is all up to you.

Grand Theft Auto is as "real" as it get as far as gameplay Grand Theft Auto IV is structured similarly to previous games in the series. The core gameplay consists of elements of a third-person shooter and a driving game, giving the player a large, open environment in which to move around. On foot, the player's character is capable of walking, running, swimming, climbing and jumping, as well as using weapons and basic hand-to-hand combat. Players can steal and drive a variety of vehicles, including automobiles, boats, helicopters, and motorcycles. Grand Theft Auto IV takes advantage of Natural Motion's Euphoria engine, which combines artificial intelligence, bio-mechanics and physics to make NPC behaviour and movement adaptive and more realistic.

The open, non-linear environment allows players to explore and choose how they wish to play the game. Although storyline missions are necessary to progress through the game and unlock certain parts of the map and content, they are not required, as players can complete them at their own leisure. When not taking on a storyline mission, players can free-roam. However, creating havoc can attract unwanted and potentially fatal attention from the authorities.

It is possible to have multiple active missions, due to the fact that some missions will run over the course of several days and will require the player to wait for further instructions, etc. The player can also partake in a variety of optional side missions. For the first time in the series, Grand Theft Auto IV features "morality choices" at several points throughout the game, in which the player is forced to choose between killing a character or sparing their life or killing one of two characters. The game has two different endings, which are determined by deciding which of the two missions to complete. The player can choose between a revenge mission or a deal mission, each leads to a different ending.

SR2

Saints Row 2 is a sandbox-style action-adventure video game developed by Volition, Inc. and published by THQ. It is the second title in the Saints Row series. In SR2 you play as....... boss, player, or you. when playing as you you can change EVERYTHING hair, clothes, even you UNDERWEAR.....hell you can just toss the clothes to the side and go nude through the entire game but y would you want to do that? Razz

Saints Row 2 has gameplay structured similarly to its predecessor Saints Row. The core gameplay consists of elements of a third-person shooter and a driving game, affording the player a large, open environment in which to move around. On foot, the player's character is capable of walking, running, swimming, climbing and jumping, as well as utilizing weapons and basic hand-to-hand combat. Players can steal and drive a variety of vehicles, including automobiles, boats, jet skis, helicopters, fixed-wing aircraft and motorcycles.

The open, non-linear environment allows players to explore and choose how they wish to play the game. After the player completes a tutorial mission the entire environment can be fully explored. Although storyline missions are necessary as they are part of in-game progress, players can complete them at their own leisure, after filling up a bar full of respect, in-game currency which is used for missions. These missions can be completed at the player's own leisure and when not taking on a storyline mission, players can free-roam and explore the environment, spend money on various shops and participate in mini-games called activities which earn the player more money and respect. However, creating havoc can attract unwanted and potentially fatal attention from the authorities and rival gangs.

The gameplay in Saints Row 2 is designed to feel responsive and fast, in a cartoon-like way. In addition, the game has kept the world-acclaimed 360-degree free-aim weapon firing from Saints Row, with lead producer Greg Donovan commenting that "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." This allows for fast-paced gunplay instead of relying on tactics meaning the player must make quick decisions in combat. In addition, the weapon selection system praised in the original game has been kept in. These changes were well received with fans, however the lack of power and speed for vehicles has been disfavored by many as many cars do not accelerate or reach speeds to the like of their real-life counterparts.

StarRoadWarrior
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: GTA4/SR2 Review and comparison   Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:17 am

Story

if you were to read the story on a piece of paper you would think that they are to totally different stories. but if you were to break it down to the very basic the story for each is almost the same.

GTA

(WARNING SPOILERS!!!)
like i said before in GTA your Niko a European immigrant that is trying to make it in America. the story starts off simple enough your cousin Roman ,also an immigrant, has started a taxi cab service make an honest pay. Niko just wants to lay low and cause no trouble... well laying low takes a hike when Nike meets the first bad guy.... Vlad a Russian mobster that is up to now good. Vlad tries to steal romans girls but niko ends that by killing vlad then not causing trouble is no where to find. after killing vlad niko admits the real reason he came to american. to kill more and find the some "friends" that stabbed his back during the war. as the story continues niko get involved more in mobs and drug dealing. my favorite mission is when niko and a gang rob a bank is both hard and one of the longest missions. its funny some site say the easy bike chase mission and the truth is there is no easy bike chase mission. Niko's butt cant stay on a bike no matter what. you just bump a wall and he goes flying straight to his death. i continued following the story and was very into it until my newly stolen FBI buffalo crashed into the wall of plot twist. During one of the missions where Niko has to retrieve some crack. after killing 50 drug dealers and almost half of the liberty city PD i was at the checkpoint and the final cut scene Niko's first girlfrined shows up and TAKES THE STASH! all the hard work for nothing. turns out that she was and undercover spy sent out to look ever niko. after that point the story to me was all over the place but still it was hard to get into after that i was more cautious with the new people that i met because i knew that any moment they would turn there back on me and sure enought at least 5 did. and the only to stop them was you guessed it kill them. the story of GTA is a more serious one and the longest of all GTA games.

SR

Saints Row story is..... short compared to GTA. but it makes up for that as you play the game. you play as you a custom fully edited player that kicks you in the balls and does not care who is watching. SR2 takes place 5 years after the events of SR1 but don't worry all you need to know from the first game is that the player was the leader of the largest gang of thugs but was blew up and put in a comma for 5 years now your back to bring the saints to the top. in the first mission Carlos (the first homie of the game) helps you break out of jail. you then recruit many other bro's that help you destroy the rival gangs. the only problem in SR is that you can not just go from mission to mission you have to raise your respect meter if its high you can continue on to the next mission if not you must complete so many mini games to raise it to play a mission. some of the mini game are REALLY funny like spread crap all over homes. or drive a 4-wheeler while on fire to scare college kids (you cant make this stuff up its true!) the story itself is HARDCORE! what other game do you see were the main guy takes hostage a rival's girl then stuffs her in the trunk then has a monster truck run over it?!?! its that bad. o it gets better... no wait no it does not after each gang is completely gone the gang leader is also killed in a blood bath of guns or swords. speaking of blood a head shot could easily be simulated by someone throwing a water balloon filled with red water at some ones head the splatter of red water would look the same as a head shot or just about any shot for that matter. o and you get major points for nutz shot (i am not joking) SR story is both funny and hardcore serious there is not many games that i know where you can steal a UFO and fly it to a gang to kill the gang leader with a anal probe (if im lying im dieing)

StarRoadWarrior
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: GTA4/SR2 Review and comparison   Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:10 pm

Pros and Cons plus conclusion and score

GTA4

Grand theft auto is perfect nothing is wrong with the game............. sort of. Once again gta is about as "real" as it gets. And what I mean by that if you steal a car with a flat tire you will not be able to drive it as good as a perfect car this is a great idea in game design. however I do not like that I cannot store any cars that I steal.... well I can keep one but it’s not stored it just sits outside one of the safe homes. The gun fights are somewhat epic. I can hide into cover, shoot, and sneak up on any foe. The auto lock is ok but sometimes I don’t want to shoot the nearest person so auto lock is off for me. The story is long and sometimes really hard or a walk in the park (literally) I hate how in some missions you have to choose for a person to live or not see the light of day. I hate this because I’m not sure what the outcome will be and latter I will find out that I did need that person. Speaking of the missions I do not like that if I died at the last part of a mission I will have to restart the mission back at the start and if I lost any guns or bullets I will not have it at the beginning of the restart. That brings up another point as soon as you run out of bullets you lose the gun and the only way to get the gun back is to pay an arm and a leg for a new gun. Going back to the missions. All of the missions are different but some have the same main goal. A chase goal seems to be the most common one. But the chase is never the same. Example one might have to chase a foe in a car, boat, airplane, or if your unlucky a bike which is hard to do. Also in most chases good aim and shooting is required. In any vehicle the auto aim is off so perfect aim is needed here. Gta is a single player game there is no co-op and none of your friends help you more than 2 or 3 missions. Another down side is that you cant explore all of the map at the beginning of the game. You have to unlock each island of liberty city as you go along in the story. In conclusion gta has more good things than bad. Its just some small flaws that could be fixed. In fact the DLC (the lost and the damned) fixed all the problems but the DLC review is for another time.

Saints Row 2
For those that have not played this game before the best way to describe it is taking the witty story from no more heroes and adding it to the car stealing gameplay of gta. SR does just about the opposite that GTA does. Cars that are stolen can be kept in garages. Cops are easier to get rid of. There are no chase missions and no missions that require you to do anything on a bike. SR is a multiplayer game but can also be done solo. You can call up “hommies” to help you out in a mission. Sometimes I wonder if the hommies were part of the special education program because for some reason during a gun fight they will for some reason walk into my line of fire and will die. Well they will not die right away I will have 30 sec to revive them. However if I died my friends could not revive me not that I would want them to they might just keep shooting or just get in the way of the other ones that is still alive. The missions are by far epic on a very funny level. There is one mission that I enjoy the most and that is where my gang has to break into a storage facility and steal a firework truck. Then while im in the back with the fireworks my hommies are in the front driving I sit in the back tossing out boxes of fireworks and enjoy the show of exploding cars and fireworks (whoever came up with that idea needs a pat on the back and a raise in their salary). None of the missions are the same there all different and that is one thing that makes this game shine in originality. In combat you can take 2 options. One guns a blazing killing everyone that moves or 2 hand to hand and close range weapons like a sword or knife. More than likely the first option is the best because the rival gangs can put 10 bullets in you before the first punch is thrown. The story for SR is short and I was looking for more. The only way to get more out of the game is by completing the mini game missions. There is a ton of them that range from spreading raw sewage over buildings, having a…. “good time”, being a cop, drug dealing, and so much more. After each mini game mission is complete a new costume or car is unlocked for customization. Another shinning point of this game is complete customization of your character well almost. I can customize just about everything, the main character, the clothes that I wear, the overall body features, I can even customize what I want my gang to wear, drive, and say to each other… I just cant change the color of my gang. Everyone is purple that is not a big problem but we all seem to be the gang of Barney not 31st street saints but whatever floats you boat I guess. Going back to the guns in this game if all bullets are gone I keep the gun. I don’t have to go out and pay lots of money for a gun.

Conclusion
So much more thought was put into Saints Row than gta. But does that mean that gta is bad. Well heavens no gta is hardcore serious and has a long story that is backed up with perfect gameplay and great controls and graphics. This is the 4th gta game with a number at the end and after so many years of making this type of game the people at rockstar knows what they are doing. THQ however has just 2 of these types of games and is walking to perfection as we speak. Though SR was a very close attempt to perfect the story was short and the map to explore was smaller than that of GTA. With all of that being said I recommend Saints Row 2 over Grand Theft Auto 4! I recommend it more because just like No More Heroes and Killer 7 the story is all about killed or be killed and does it with dry humor that when the game was over I was laughing at the fact that I just flew a UFO and killed someone while in the nude and no one said a thing about it.
Saints Row2= 9.5
Grand Theft Auto 4= 9.3

Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator

Number of posts : 2293

PostSubject: Re: GTA4/SR2 Review and comparison   Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:21 pm

Wow, that was really great Jody. I didn't finish GTA4, but I think you did a great job capturing all of the details...it was a very realistic game to be sure...maybe the most realistic game I have EVER played. But like you said, it had its problems. I also thought the aiming system was really annoying at times, especially if you didn't want to aim at someone but you couldn't change it. It CONSTANTLY got in the way, both in combat, or if you just wanted to punch a certain civillian! lol Still, I thought it did a great job improving upon the PS2 GTA games...I'd just like to see that fixed.

As for Saint's Row 2...it sounds pretty brutal man. Maybe even more brutal than GTA...and can you really go nude??

--Which would you prefer? Cheap Happiness or sublime suffering?
Perhaps sometimes ignorance really is bliss...
Back to top Go down
http://ftwgamingnetwork.one-forum.net
StarRoadWarrior
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: GTA4/SR2 Review and comparison   Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:20 pm

ForsakenLament 04 wrote:

As for Saint's Row 2...it sounds pretty brutal man. Maybe even more brutal than GTA...and can you really go nude??

YES! to both it is more brutal than GTA and you can really go nude see in the video (its censored)

StarRoadWarrior
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: GTA4/SR2 Review and comparison   Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:28 pm

my favorite mission i skipped some of the cut scene and the drive to the bank

Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: GTA4/SR2 Review and comparison   Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:59 pm

damn, that game is crazy man...and I thought GTA was pushing the envelope!

Back to top Go down
StarRoadWarrior
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: GTA4/SR2 Review and comparison   Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:14 pm

well GTA did push it then SR flew in and blew it up with a rocket launcher Laughing

StarRoadWarrior
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: GTA4/SR2 Review and comparison   Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:40 pm

funny videos

GTA

SR

StarRoadWarrior
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: GTA4/SR2 Review and comparison   Wed May 06, 2009 11:51 am

now for the review for the DLC

GTA4

this download is worth 1600 microsoft points or 20$ and is a xbox ONLY DLC to my knowledge you can not get this on the PS3 yet. In the DLC called the lost and the damned you play as Johnny the VP of a biker gang called the lost. you may remember him he made a few cameo appearance in some of the missions during the main game with niko. the main story is new and takes place at the same time niko's missions did. the plot is about the same as the main game you deal a few drugs, kill members of other gangs. most of the time you do the missions with the gang on your bikes but never fear as this time the bike missions are no where near as hard as they were in the main game. the DLC adds a lot of new game play features such as new guns, vehicles, multiplayer, and side quest. the DLC adds almost 10 hours of game play and is a lot for a DLC game.

SR

this DLC is worth half as much as GTA's. this time you return as you again to take down the evil corporation know as Ultor. just like the GTA's DLC you get a lot such as new vehicles, costumes, multiplayer maps, a new homie played by adult film star Tera Patrick, and 3 new missions...... wait 3???? just 3???? well that sucks yes just the 3 short missions. that may seem lame to add just 3 missions that takes less than one hour to play but its all the other that makes up for it and the fact that more DLC is promised in the summer and fall that WILL be longer

Review

well in the main game SR2 won but in the fight for the DLC GTA gets the win because its longer and it does more than SR DLC

Lost and the Damned: 9.1
Ultor Exposed: 8.3

StarRoadWarrior
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: GTA4/SR2 Review and comparison   Sat May 23, 2009 5:01 pm

To any one that plays saints row 2 (me) there is a new DLC that will be released May 28th! and here is the link to the story

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The Saints Row 2 downloadable content will also feature new vehicles, customization options, multiplayer maps, achievements and more!

Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: GTA4/SR2 Review and comparison   Sat May 30, 2009 11:50 am

No wonder you've been so busy over the past two days...it all adds up now! lol

Be sure to tell us how it is when you're done. geek

Back to top Go down
StarRoadWarrior
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: GTA4/SR2 Review and comparison   Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:40 pm

well im done ( well i have been done lol)

O MY GOSH! this DLC has made it official SR2 is the Funniest game i have every played! there is a mission where i have to put on a tank top shirt and blend in with some trailer park residents to kill a red-neck drug dealer lol! BUT WAIT WAIT THAT IS NOT ALL! there is also another mission where i take out revenge on one of my past friends by killing all of his closes allies and one of them is a mime and after sniping out one mime the entire gang of mimes swarm the building i was using for the sniping mission. lol! the best DLC so far

Corporate Warfare: 9.0
entertainment:100%

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GTA4/SR2 Review and comparison   

Back to top Go down

GTA4/SR2 Review and comparison
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1