The number one forum community for videogames and online gaming!

HomeHome  FTW ChatroomFTW Chatroom  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Similar topics
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 52 on Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:34 pm
Latest topics
» So, what've you all been up to?
Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:43 pm by frozentreasure

» Splatoon - The best shooter of the last decade?
Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:41 am by StarRoadWarrior

» Lets Play!
Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:47 am by frozentreasure

» So, anyone still here?
Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:16 am by SmashedBrother

» Super Smash Bros. on Wii U and 3DS!
Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:43 pm by StarRoadWarrior

» Gaming to do list
Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:21 pm by StarRoadWarrior

» StarRoadWarrior's Blog?
Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:34 pm by StarRoadWarrior

» Just Completed (insert game name)
Thu May 22, 2014 11:01 pm by l33tsmasher

» Woooooow! I bet no one remembers your 105 year old member :(
Fri May 02, 2014 1:21 am by SmashedBrother

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 116 registered users
The newest registered user is nellradxkv

Our users have posted a total of 18060 messages in 766 subjects

Share | 

Resident Evil 5 Add on Content: An Utter Disappointment

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator

Number of posts : 2293

PostSubject: Resident Evil 5 Add on Content: An Utter Disappointment   Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:58 pm

RE5 Downloadable content: An Utter Disappointment
Game: Resident Evil 5
Developer: Capcom
Release Date: April 7th
Price: $5.00

I have yet to write my review of Resident Evil 5, as I have WAY too much complaining to do and not enough time to say it...I will however make a point about RE5's Downloadable content, which just released yesterday, in an effort to hopefully save some people some money.

Basically, I was excited for the DLC-it featured a Deathmatch(survivors) and competitive mode(slayers) for up to 4 people. Sure it's nothing overly fancy, but I found mercenaries to be the most enjoyable part of the game, so of course I had high hopes for this no content, despite the fact I had to fork over $5 for it.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Sadly, much like the game as a whole, this DLC was a disappointment. First and foremost, I enjoyed playing splitscreen mercenaries with friends and with my sister. It was exciting, challenging, and rewarding, and of course was great fun when you had someone to strategize and share the fun with right next to you. For god knows what reason, there is no splitscreen mode in this new content-just as my sister and I were about to boot the game up, we realized(to our dismay) that it was impossible to play together. This immediately killed the experience.

The situation grew even worse as I came to realize that this game looked startlingly familiar to the actual mercenaries mode. In fact, it was the exact same thing, save for the fact that two teams can compete or kill eachother. The time is still there for no real reason...and there is literally NO NEW CONTENT here. The levels are the same, the characters are the same, and the enemies are exactly the same. The only nuance here is the corny rock music that plays in the opening menu, and a new techno beat for the gameplay. This is a letdown.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

And to add insult to injury, if you wanted to play as that awesome character you worked so hard to unlock in mercenaries mode, you'll have to get it OVER AGAIN. That's right, you worked hard for the character already, but now you have to BUY that same character AGAIN for an outrageous amount of points. Understandable if they were NEW characters, but a complete waste of time for the same skins you've been looking at. Oh, and one more thing, if you haven't unlocked all of the characters, expect to face hard times online....the default characters(normale Chris and Sheva) are nowhere near as powerful as Wesker and some of the other later characters.

Oh, and if you thought it couldn't get worse, keep in mind that this content was already on your game disc. That's right-it was already there, on the game you spent $60 on. So what is it exactly that you're spending $5 more dollars on? Well, in Capcom's words, a "key" of sorts to unlock it. I didn't mind paying a small fee for new content, but to have to buy what I already have...no that's ridiculous.

Is there anything redeeming here? Well, if you want to kill your friends, you finally have the chance...online, of course. This mode can be fun, however the gameplay is clunky and not designed for competition, so expect to just stand still and shoot eachother until one of you dies. Also the time factor is a completely idiotic addition portion of the gameplay, as you are literally forced to struggle just to play with one another for a decent amount of time. It made some sense in Mercenaries, but should have taken out in favor of stock or an adjustable time limit.

In the end, this seems to be a rushed, poorly thought out, and overall bad move by Capcom. RE5 is a decent game which is bogged down by pitfalls, and this little error will only tarnish the company's image even further. If you can live without this mode(and you probably can), save your hard earned money...Capcom's made enough already.

OVERALL SCORE:

--Which would you prefer? Cheap Happiness or sublime suffering?
Perhaps sometimes ignorance really is bliss...
Back to top Go down
http://ftwgamingnetwork.one-forum.net
StarRoadWarrior
Administrator

Number of posts : 3626

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil 5 Add on Content: An Utter Disappointment   Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:03 pm

o good im glad that some one else hates it as much as me to bad i could not see this earlier

Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator

Number of posts : 2293

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil 5 Add on Content: An Utter Disappointment   Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:20 am

I've played it a bit more, and as much as I try to like it, I just can't get into it...it might be because I suck, but it's annoying how easily you can be killed, even in the slayers mode. All another member has to do is sneak up behind you, and after a few shots, you're done. Overall it's ok to play, but Mercenaries is SO much better...and it was free.

Btw, did anyone else download it?

--Which would you prefer? Cheap Happiness or sublime suffering?
Perhaps sometimes ignorance really is bliss...
Back to top Go down
http://ftwgamingnetwork.one-forum.net
AspiR

Number of posts : 23

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil 5 Add on Content: An Utter Disappointment   Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:45 am

Well I won't, now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil 5 Add on Content: An Utter Disappointment   

Back to top Go down

Resident Evil 5 Add on Content: An Utter Disappointment
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1