The number one forum community for videogames and online gaming!

HomeHome  FTW ChatroomFTW Chatroom  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Similar topics
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 52 on Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:34 pm
Latest topics
» So, what've you all been up to?
Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:43 pm by frozentreasure

» Splatoon - The best shooter of the last decade?
Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:41 am by StarRoadWarrior

» Lets Play!
Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:47 am by frozentreasure

» So, anyone still here?
Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:16 am by SmashedBrother

» Super Smash Bros. on Wii U and 3DS!
Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:43 pm by StarRoadWarrior

» Gaming to do list
Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:21 pm by StarRoadWarrior

» StarRoadWarrior's Blog?
Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:34 pm by StarRoadWarrior

» Just Completed (insert game name)
Thu May 22, 2014 11:01 pm by l33tsmasher

» Woooooow! I bet no one remembers your 105 year old member :(
Fri May 02, 2014 1:21 am by SmashedBrother

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 116 registered users
The newest registered user is nellradxkv

Our users have posted a total of 18060 messages in 766 subjects

Share | 

FTW Website Discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator

Number of posts : 2293

PostSubject: Re: FTW Website Discussion   Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:09 pm

Perhaps sometime in the near future...I'm too busy to plan anything out right now, but it's certainly something to consider...maybe by the end of the summer or something, hm?

--Which would you prefer? Cheap Happiness or sublime suffering?
Perhaps sometimes ignorance really is bliss...
Back to top Go down
http://ftwgamingnetwork.one-forum.net
SmashedBrother
Administrator

Number of posts : 2105

PostSubject: Re: FTW Website Discussion   Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:38 pm

So.....does anyone else still think the site is worth the effort?

The war to end all Waaars is coming.

R.I.P.qjr!

The Grim(lin) reaper has come!

Jordan.....Prepare for the Geno-cide!

We shall Battle and you shall Cry!

I'm SmashedBrother, but your Smashed Brothers!

Nobody messes with Texas!
Back to top Go down
frozentreasure

Number of posts : 294

PostSubject: Re: FTW Website Discussion   Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:54 am

*sigh*

The only reason I don't want to say "no, it's just not worth it" is because losing the site also means/meant losing the community. You guys are great friends to chat with at any point; the problem is that the site itself is dead.

What I wish we could have at this point is a way to still keep in touch and communicate and play games with each other that didn't require the upkeep of this site. I still keep in touch with Jody through Skype; we've been working on producing video and audio content of our own, and while it's been a personal side hobby for me, I still held at the back of my mind the idea that it could be used to revitalise this forum in some way.

It's just…I- it's hard.

I don't know. I still think that it could be kept up; we just have no connections to anything or anyone else. This results in it just being a relatively small group of people that get stuck in a steadily declining holding pattern.

I will still never leave this place; not again. If you post on here and you want to talk, I'll talk right back and get into it. But I feel like upkeep of your own personal non-profit site is on its way out. Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Tumblr etc; these are just easier ways to get your thoughts out to the Internet without the hassle of backend nonsense.

That's what kept on crippling us, really.

I'm proud of how long we lasted as a community that was founded on Super Smash Brothers, personally.

So, I guess I ultimately think that I want to continue the kind of intelligent discussion I used to have with all of you here. It just doesn't seem like here is the place to do it.

(Shameless plug: Follow me on Twitter @[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]! I also have a [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] where I've recently been putting up a bunch of videogame videos. Hope you like!)
Back to top Go down
http://frozentreasure.com
TreISGood

Number of posts : 65

PostSubject: Re: FTW Website Discussion   Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:22 pm

It was a good run, is all I'll say. Is the site worth it? I don't think so. In fact, I can say I kinda saw this one coming... the site didn't last a long time- it suffered a slow death. It started off just a small community of gamers who liked to play Smash Bros that was consistently growing. Then, we got a new site, and became even bigger. But as the years went on, it stopped being about fun.

That's where it all went downhill. I myself was exiled from the site for something I didn't do, simply because I logged off around the same time as a hacker logged on. I was wrongfully banned, and yes, I will point fingers at Cory and Skye for their ignorance, and the site lost a lot. I watched the site, from the outside, on a bi-weekly basis, even sometimes poking my head in on an alt account for a few days before the admins could catch on and ban me.

The smash Brotherhood went through a major power trip. You guys got so scared of me that you even changed your chat and added a password. What was the point of that? The site became more of an exclusive club than an open site for people to enjoy. I remember one time when I was "Spying" that the admins even started closing the chat during the work week. The site was meant to be fun, and schedules are not fun.

I watched as member after member posted threads announcing they were leaving, and noticed as member after member silently stopped posting. It made me happy. Then you guys put the final nail in the coffin and made the forum about games in general. Suddenly, the site went from uniting a bunch of smash lovers together to just several guys who like games. Naturally, people started to flock towards forums full of people who match their interests. You guys wouldn't be able to fully understand all the little things about, say, Halo: Reach. If I were to come in here and talk about it, all I'd get is a general "Yeah, that game is fun!", as opposed to going on a Halo forum and discussing why Armor Lock is too overpowered in matchmaking.

Super Smash Bros 4 has been announced. Unfortunately, the site is done. When the next Smash Bros comes out, originals like Kevin, Carlos, Ena, Pugs, Me, Shade, any more will not come rushing back here.

It just isn't the same anymore.
Back to top Go down
frozentreasure

PostSubject: Re: FTW Website Discussion   Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:24 am

Wow.

And I really mean "wow".

You didn't just miss the point like a darts player hits the bullseye instead of triple 20; you hit the guy standing far off to the left away from the board, quietly enjoying a relaxing evening.
Back to top Go down
TreISGood

PostSubject: Re: FTW Website Discussion   Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:28 pm

That was a response to Smashedbrother, not you. I answered smashedbrother's question, and then gave my own two cents on why I think the site went down.

If you're looking for a reply to your post, though, I say the site is beyond help. At this point it has become so dead that reconnecting is simply not going to happen.
Back to top Go down
SmashedBrother
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: FTW Website Discussion   Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:49 pm

@Roy - Thanks for your excellent post! It's good to know somebody is still paying attention to this place.

At this point, I don't think we'll be able to jump back like we did last year. I was hoping against my better judgement that we'd pull back together again, but.....the site kind of speaks for itself. I don't think the site will be salvagable until we can find something specific to bring the group together.....which probably means a long wait until maybe SSB4

The only point I'd partially disagree with you on is that we died because we were small. While that made it difficult to recover, we died mainly because we couldn't find a common focus - I've lost count of how many topics that were posted and were never commented on. I think that small sites will remain basically what they tend to be - fun -- while they last. I'm proud of how long our group stayed alive.

Anyway, I definitely take a look at you on Youtube. I don't really do much on Twitter, but we'll see.

@Tre - Believe it or not, I think we've all heard about you being banned by now. Rolling Eyes I don't believe that it's particularly relavent to the conversation.

The one thing I can agree with you on is that many couldn't find enough common interest once we switched. Everything else - Rolling Eyes

R.I.P.qjr!

Back to top Go down
TreISGood

PostSubject: Re: FTW Website Discussion   Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:05 pm

@SmashedBrother I was just going over the events leading up to the sites death. No need to be a ..

Back to top Go down
SmashedBrother
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: FTW Website Discussion   Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:21 pm

@Tre......I guess I deserved that. My apologies. I've had a bad day and that post just rubbed me the wrong way.

On the other hand, it was not necessary to jab at either Cory or Skye, regardless of what happened, and while you may be glad at the site's death, handling it that way was....neither appreciated nor relavent.

I agree that we lost our focus as a group, and that really hurt, as well as the issues with the chat. Let's keep the discussion on that please.

R.I.P.qjr!

Back to top Go down
TreISGood

PostSubject: Re: FTW Website Discussion   Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:27 pm

It probably was wrong to take a jab at Cory, but Skye? You gotta be kidding me. I could take the time to describe to you exactly how I felt to justify it, but seeings how little you actually care...

I though you'd missed the point, but it seems you didn't. My banishment and the events surrounding it led to this. The site just stopped being fun.
Back to top Go down
frozentreasure

PostSubject: Re: FTW Website Discussion   Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:17 am

I'm sure the universe does indeed revolve around you. What a coincidence that all of the events that led to the site's death were ones that negatively impacted you.

Am I the only one who saw that post earlier where I said he missed the point, at all?

*sigh* Moving on, I will concede on that one, Smashed: being a small group of individuals wasn't key to the lack of activity. A member of a forum I created in '09 had gone about claiming that my forum was a "failure" because it had less than X members. I guess talking about a videogame franchise that sees one new release every five or six years on average isn't going to stay fresh forever.

I will say, though, with the announcement of Smash Bros. 4, (I'm guessing it'll be called "Super Smash Clash" or something) Jody and I have found it hard to not talk about it; in particular, what we could see in the new instalment. I still stand by my character sheet for Amaterasu that I posted here a couple of years ago, personally.

It just doesn't seem that much about the place you meet at itself, but the connections you make with people when you get there. My continuing keeping in contact with Jordan isn't dependent on the site; and we don't need the site itself to keep our interest in discussion.

Not to say "we don't need the site; it's lame now and it doesn't matter at all, hurr durr rawr!" obviously, but we can keep talking about games, site or no site. I just partially regret that we couldn't get more people on Skype that we can chat with nowadays.

Speaking of which, Smashed: do you know at all what happened to Cory and Skye after last year's E3? It just seems slightly odd they disappear outright.
Back to top Go down
Blitzsword
Administrator

Number of posts : 198

PostSubject: Re: FTW Website Discussion   Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:12 pm

I don't know what they're up to now, but I can tell you why they left in the first place...

There were disagreements between the admins, myself included. There was some tension going on so I left the site initially but logged on only to check my PMs. Everyone else would be on the site chat for the most part, while others would use Skype. I won't go any further than that since it really isn't my place to say much, but I will say that all parties made up and apologized afterwards. Strangely, they vanished soon after. I've lost contact with both Cory and Skye about a year ago so I can't really say what they're up to now. I've been too preoccupied in my own thing that I've had little time for people. Though, I do come to this site on occasion for brief periods of time only to check on it. My girl does as well (some of you may know Illiya?).

I do want to apologize to you surviving members of this site that our arguments and disagreements killed most of the community here. That was not our intention at all. We got carried away in our ideas that we abandoned our friends in the process. Of course, for the most part, life goes on, and changes take place. New events can lead one to get too preoccupied with their own thing which is what I'm sure is going on with the others as well.

As others have said, Roy in particular, you don't need this site to keep in touch with one another. If you have a good relationship going on, stay in touch by other means. This site, while dying, is just a medium of many in which you all can come together and talk but that shouldn't stop you from interacting or keeping in contact with one another. I'll visit from time to time, but I won't be here as a dedicated member like I used to be before. I'll still respond to PMs if I should get any. In the meantime, keep in touch with one another, even if its not through here Smile
Back to top Go down
StarRoadWarrior
Administrator

Number of posts : 3626

PostSubject: Re: FTW Website Discussion   Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:02 am

Blitzsword wrote:
I don't know what they're up to now, but I can tell you why they left in the first place...

There were disagreements between the admins, myself included. There was some tension going on so I left the site initially but logged on only to check my PMs. Everyone else would be on the site chat for the most part, while others would use Skype. I won't go any further than that since it really isn't my place to say much, but I will say that all parties made up and apologized afterwards. Strangely, they vanished soon after. I've lost contact with both Cory and Skye about a year ago so I can't really say what they're up to now. I've been too preoccupied in my own thing that I've had little time for people. Though, I do come to this site on occasion for brief periods of time only to check on it. My girl does as well (some of you may know Illiya?).

I do want to apologize to you surviving members of this site that our arguments and disagreements killed most of the community here. That was not our intention at all. We got carried away in our ideas that we abandoned our friends in the process. Of course, for the most part, life goes on, and changes take place. New events can lead one to get too preoccupied with their own thing which is what I'm sure is going on with the others as well.

As others have said, Roy in particular, you don't need this site to keep in touch with one another. If you have a good relationship going on, stay in touch by other means. This site, while dying, is just a medium of many in which you all can come together and talk but that shouldn't stop you from interacting or keeping in contact with one another. I'll visit from time to time, but I won't be here as a dedicated member like I used to be before. I'll still respond to PMs if I should get any. In the meantime, keep in touch with one another, even if its not through here Smile

HEY LUIS!!! we should play play some PS3 games like soon lol ok BYE!

Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: FTW Website Discussion   Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:23 pm

Funny how things work...I've recently been pondering the site and what you all must be doing with your lives...I didn't expect to see you all here speaking like this...it seems all of our minds drift towards FTW from time to time, reminiscing about the glory days oh so long ago...Truth is I was too ashamed about the state of this site to even look at it over this past year...I put it out of my mind entirely out of guilt. I wouldn't even be here right now if it hadn't been for Everlong sending me a message on xbox live telling me that some members still remain here. I'm glad he did...It's not that I gave up on you guys, or wanted to forget you...that couldn't be farther from the truth. It's just that in addition to all the complications life throws at you, I just plain blame myself for the decline of this place.

It was an honor to run this site and be here with all of you...but to be honest, owning a website is enough to drive someone mad. I had a great thing here...good friends, great community, lots of fun to be had...remember our friday gaming nights? Our tourneys almost never worked, but we still had fun nonetheless...god, that seems so long ago now, as if it was almost in an entirely different life. But sadly, I didn't want to let that good thing go...I became protective of it--too protective. I became paranoid, consumed by power and the constant need to keep the site perfect...the way I wanted it. Sadly, in my efforts to keep this place pristine, I caused it's downfall and eventually abandoned it in shame. Any critique of my handling is justified. I can still see the remnants of my tyrannical behavior in the site's announcements, descriptions, etc...

My spirit is lifted, however, by the fact that a good number of you still cling to that lost and great time...hoping to keep it alive, even in the most minute of forms. You have my deepest gratitude, for it was you who made this place great, not my actions. I believe SmashedBrother deserves the greatest amount of praise...a fact about which I believe many of you will agree. Despite the fact that he never experienced the great times we had on the chat, despite the fact that he's never heard most of our voices, despite the fact that he never even had that long-desired brawl match with me or anyone else, he still remains here. Polite and as kind as ever...a humble guardian of this catacomb which houses the memories of a better time. You sir, are deserving of all of our thanks. You are far more deserving than myself to watch over and take ownership of this place. I am in your debt, sir.

Now that I have expressed feelings that have needed to be said for a good long time, I would briefly like to mention that I am still here, and now that I have finally faced my shame and returned, I would very much like to speak with everyone again. As for Skye, I doubt she'll make any sort of return...I could be wrong, but I don't even live with her now...she doesn't know I'm here. Regardless, FTW or not, we were a great community, and we need to stay that way. I hope to hear from everyone in some capacity soon.

Take care, my friends...I'm glad you didn't give up.

~Forsaken

Back to top Go down
Everlong

Number of posts : 156

PostSubject: Re: FTW Website Discussion   Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:32 pm

You're welcome, sir. It's good to have you back on over here as well. I think we can all agree that we missed talking to you. Some more than others, sure, but this site wasn't the same.

We all make mistakes. Don't be yourself up too hard for what's in the past. I guess I missed all of the drama that went on here, but the way I see it, it's happened and there's not much point in dwelling too much on it. It may have lead you to do some things that you regret - after all, that apparently caused you to leave in the first place - but that's neither here nor there. Pick yourself up and move on.

SmashedBrother does indeed deserve recognition for being so loyal, as well as frozentreasure/Roy. Ashamedly, FTW! was never near the top of my bookmarks so I followed an "Out of sight, out of mind" philosophy. I regret, as I've noted to SB in private, not getting to know all of you better than I did.

One of my favorite quotes from Nintendo is said by the Happy Mask Salesman in Majora's Mask: "A meeting is sure to be soon followed by a parting, but it's up to you to decide if that's permanent." FTW! may have suffered, but that doesn't mean we still can't get back in contact with one another.
Back to top Go down
TreISGood

PostSubject: Re: FTW Website Discussion   Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:22 pm

Anyways... I think the site can be saved somehow. I'm not sure how, but I think something could be done. Will SSB4 be our saving grace? Who knows. Maybe we should go back to being the Smash Brotherhood... You know, give us something to focus on instead of scattering our interests.

Last edited by SmashedBrother on Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edited for provoking argument)
Back to top Go down
SmashedBrother
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: FTW Website Discussion   Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:14 am

@Forsaken Lament 04 - I don't know if you'll understand this, but I've come to the conclusion that you're at least partially melancholic - you're a perfectionist who has a bad habit of beating yourself up more than you deserve. Basically, you seem to focus on what went wrong and forget the good.

I don't deny that their was some bad. However, you're also one of the most responsible and intelligent members in this incredible community, as well as one of my best friends here. As Everlong said, I wasn't part of the drama that led to this, but what's done is done and behind. It's great to have you back, pal!

Thank you Cory and Everlong for your kind words. I don't deserve all the credit, though. I'm hardly the only one who's worked for this site, as Roy and Jody have both been loyal and active.

I'm not loyal to FTW as a site. It's you - the awesome group friends who I've enjoyed chatting with so often. Thank you all.

P.S. @Cory - For some strange reason, your name needs fixing pal Wink I tried to correct it, but unfortunately you're the only one who can edit your profile. Better get on it Wink

P.S.2
Everlong wrote:
A meeting is sure to soon be followed by a parting, but it's up to you to decide if that's permanent...

R.I.P.qjr!

Back to top Go down
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: FTW Website Discussion   Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:50 pm

Thank you for the support you guys...even after all of this, you're still the good friends that I value and am so lucky to have. Everyone who remains truly does have my gratitude...I know you all have been dedicated not to FTW, but to the group as a whole; and really, what more could a member of that community ask for?

I will admit it will take me some time to move on from my past mistakes. I'm sorry Smashed, but my name will have to remain this way for some time, as I must be reminded of the fact that my pride led to my downfall and to the decline of our community.

Now in regards to your post, Tre, I'm not quite sure what our future holds. As it stands now there are only a few of us on a still decrepit forum. Have the rest of our community forgotten about us? It is certainly possible. It is also possible that we may never hear from some of these people again. This leads to the larger question you brought up: can FTW be saved? Well, that is a question which plagued me during my period of paranoia prior to the decline of this website. I believe that that manner of thought might not be the best way to go about this anymore, because it inherently brings up the notion of site improvement, endeavoring to claim more members, rules, regulations, etc etc...we've been down that road more times than I'd like to admit, and frankly I don't want it. I just want to talk with you guys and play games on occasion. I don't think that's too crazy now, is it? I have a feeling that most of you will agree with me on this.

Regardless, however, something probably should be done at some point...what that is however, is still up in the air. But whatever that something might be should be decided as a group, not by one person. I'm not the boss, nor do I want to be. True I still hold the keys to the site but I do not want to exist in this community as a person of authority. We're all in this together, and should reach resolutions together. Having said that I think we should all be proactive and find ways to enjoy ourselves. Only then, I suspect, will some life finally be pumped back into this place.

Back to top Go down
Everlong

PostSubject: Re: FTW Website Discussion   Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:06 pm

I tentatively suggest that we continue our current course. I don't like the notion of the community becoming solely Smash Bros.-focused again. Don't get me wrong: I know that was what the community was founded on originally and I like the series. It's just that I think that's very limiting and not in a good way. There's only so much we can talk about, in regards to SSB, before it gets stale. With other categories, it's hard to do that.

The first order of business is, I think, to try to reach out again to as many former members as possible and do our utmost to get in contact with them somehow and let them know that, yes, FTW! is back.
Back to top Go down
frozentreasure

PostSubject: Re: FTW Website Discussion   Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:30 pm

For what it's worth, I think "order of business" is the wrong phrase, as would any phrase be that includes the words "have to" or "need to", or anything that denotes necessity to an action.
Back to top Go down
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: FTW Website Discussion   Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:21 am

Well why don't we hear from everyone and come to a consensus on the direction we'd like to go in. I do agree with Everlong in that the other members should know we're here and active. As for a focus on one game, I'm not sure that's the proper course either. I don't even have a copy of brawl anymore (Skye kept it with her), so it wouldn't be all that useful to me anyway. I will agree with Tre however, that there some sort of focus might be helpful...whatever that focus is, however, remains to be seen.

Back to top Go down
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: FTW Website Discussion   Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:13 am

Just got done with a little posting spree and must say I forgot how much I enjoy posting on a forum...it's been ages. I hope we can get some good conversations going as that's what we're here to do in the first place.

Also Roy, I do agree that we should refrain from the phrase "need/have to." Being here shouldn't be a chore, which it often seemed to be before.

Back to top Go down
Everlong

PostSubject: Re: FTW Website Discussion   Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:09 pm

Perhaps I stated myself incorrectly. No one is compelled to come back here (obviously), but if we plan on doing anything to spruce up the forum, telling people the site is 'back' (well, at least in activity) is something that should be at least considered. After all, what's a forum without members?

As for an actual focus, well, I've got not ideas, honestly. Perhaps online gaming in general, though? I mean, there was already the precedent with the tournies, even if they apparently didn't go very far.
Back to top Go down
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: FTW Website Discussion   Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:54 am

Agreed, older members should be informed. It would be nice to see Pugs, Samco, Waaar, and the others again, if they'd be willing to come. When considering these endeavors, I think it's important to observe the motivation for our actions. We're not on one of our old crusades to build up the site this time...we're merely trying to get in touch with old friends, and that is harmless.

In regards to focus, I say we just keep going as we're going and maintain a casual atmosphere. At most, we can arrange some online matches or something in the future like we before. And actually Everlong, our old tourneys were rather fun (in my opinion at least). In fact, it was online tournaments which formed our community way back on the IGN Smash Bros forum. Some were very successful, others not so much. Either way, I'll admit it would be nice to have one again...it sure would be nostalgic...

Back to top Go down
SmashedBrother
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: FTW Website Discussion   Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:28 am

I argue starting informally with the Chat Party, and take it from there. Yes, it's this argument again. Just my 0.2 though. Other than that, I think the general idea here is a pretty good goal for now.

(@Anyone who may care - For now implies that I believe a certain "focus" is necessary, in the future. However, I do not believe this necessarily, or even ideally, needs to be directed at any particular game. Frankly, at this point I believe we can do fairly well just by getting together occasionaly, I.e. G&C Nights and possibly tournies. (and hopefully remembering me on the forums....alone..............in the blistering cold of Texas (100 degrees)...................listening to cheesy violin music Wink )

R.I.P.qjr!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FTW Website Discussion   

Back to top Go down

FTW Website Discussion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next