The number one forum community for videogames and online gaming!
 
HomeHome  FTW ChatroomFTW Chatroom  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Log in
Username:
Password:
Log in automatically: 
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 52 on Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:34 pm
Latest topics
» So, what've you all been up to?
Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:43 pm by frozentreasure

» Splatoon - The best shooter of the last decade?
Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:41 am by StarRoadWarrior

» Lets Play!
Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:47 am by frozentreasure

» So, anyone still here?
Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:16 am by SmashedBrother

» Super Smash Bros. on Wii U and 3DS!
Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:43 pm by StarRoadWarrior

» Gaming to do list
Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:21 pm by StarRoadWarrior

» StarRoadWarrior's Blog?
Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:34 pm by StarRoadWarrior

» Just Completed (insert game name)
Thu May 22, 2014 11:01 pm by l33tsmasher

» Woooooow! I bet no one remembers your 105 year old member :(
Fri May 02, 2014 1:21 am by SmashedBrother

Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 116 registered users
The newest registered user is nellradxkv

Our users have posted a total of 18060 messages in 766 subjects

Share | 
 

 The Wii U......

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SmashedBrother
Administrator
avatar

Number of posts : 2105
Age : 25

PostSubject: The Wii U......   Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:39 am

So......what do you think of Nintendo's latest offering?

Personally I'm skeptical about it. Ignoring the name (which really stinks. Wii U! *groan*) I can see some interesting possibilities for the new controller, particularly as far as real time strategy games go. I do have to wonder if Nintendo is really going to allow only one such controller per system........

On a side note, I predict that Nintendo is going to keep producing games for the Wii - aimed at the casual crowd. My basis for this is that short of something that really wows them, the ultra-casual crowd won't care to spring for a new system......of course, my crystal ball hasn't been cleaned for a while......

So, what are your thoughts?

_________________
Forsaken...Lament!

The war to end all Waaars is coming.

R.I.P.qjr!

The Grim(lin) reaper has come!

Jordan.....Prepare for the Geno-cide!

We shall Battle and you shall Cry!

I'm SmashedBrother, but your Smashed Brothers!

Nobody messes with Texas!
Back to top Go down
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator
avatar

Number of posts : 2293
Age : 30

PostSubject: Re: The Wii U......   Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:59 pm

I'm skeptical at best to be quite honest. The controller looks like a giant DS to me, and I've never been into handhelds. I truly don't like what I imagine to be the playing style of games like a Zelda, or a shooter, or a new Smash, etc. etc. However I can see it work for RPG's, puzzle games and the like. Regardless, I simply hope that GC controllers will still be option which is highly unlikely as most games will probably need the controller screen to function properly.

One question that did arise in my mind is how motion control will be utilized with this new controller...I mean, save for tilting it one way or another there's no way you'll be able to waggle it around for swordplay or something! Has Nintendo really given up on the definitive feature of its last gen console?? It would actually be kind of funny if that's the case...

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
--Arrogance is Weakness
In order to possess pride, you must first possess shame.

--Which would you prefer? Cheap Happiness or sublime suffering?
Perhaps sometimes ignorance really is bliss...
Back to top Go down
http://ftwgamingnetwork.one-forum.net
Everlong

avatar

Number of posts : 156
Age : 25

PostSubject: Re: The Wii U......   Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:57 pm

I'm honestly not that worried. I trust Nintendo know what they're doing with this new piece of technology and I think they're going to pull through just fine. They have an excellent start - there are many third party companies looking eagerly to get their hands on the Wii U, or at least approve of it. This is a very good first step. Nintendo really needs to focus on courting third parties as much as possible while also creating great first party titles. But this doesn't matter if they can't convince anyone. Yes, right now (though apparently this might change), it majorly sucks only one Wii U controller will present with the system; this is undeniable. I honestly hope it's changed by the end - keep in mind, much of what we saw at E3 is actually a prototype version. It could very well change by the time it launches next year.

No, what Nintendo needs to do is get everyone else onboard; the 'casual' gamers and the 'hardcore' gamers, if both can be satisfied adequately, could give Nintendo a huge early boost over the PS4 and Xbox 720. But it's a long and bumpy around ahead for them and it's going to be a lot of work...

Not to mention, the people whose accounts I've read actually using the controller said it's a lot less bulky than it looks and, from what they played, said it did well.

Forsaken Pride 44 wrote:
Regardless, I simply hope that GC controllers will still be option which is highly unlikely as most games will probably need the controller screen to function properly.

GameCube controllers won't be compatible with the Wii U. Nintendo confirmed that at E3.

Forsaken Pride 44 wrote:
One question that did arise in my mind is how motion control will be utilized with this new controller...I mean, save for tilting it one way or another there's no way you'll be able to waggle it around for swordplay or something! Has Nintendo really given up on the definitive feature of its last gen console?? It would actually be kind of funny if that's the case...

The Wii U's controller has a built in motion sensing unit that can also function, presumably, with your Wii games. It also acts as the motion bar as well. Basically, the Wii controllers, the Wii Motion Plus, other accessories and the Classic Controller are all compatible with the Wii U.

There's also been some interesting talk with connectivity between the Wii U and 3DS - specifically in regards to Super Smash Bros. 4. Specifically, the idea it could be used as an extra controller...
Back to top Go down
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator
avatar

Number of posts : 2293
Age : 30

PostSubject: Re: The Wii U......   Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:32 am

Ah, so no Gamecube controllers after all...a shame indeed. No Gamecube compatibility as well, from what I understand. 3DS compatibility may be interesting, but it doesn't really catch my attention personally, as forementioned, I don't much care for handhelds.

I will agree that the success of the Wii certainly hinges on 3rd part support and Nintendo's ability to cater to both the hardcore AND the casual crowd, as Microsoft is doing no with some measure of success. I will say that Nintendo's credibility with the hardcore crowd will be difficult to attain unfortunately...especially after this recent "Project Rainfall" debacle...

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
--Arrogance is Weakness
In order to possess pride, you must first possess shame.

--Which would you prefer? Cheap Happiness or sublime suffering?
Perhaps sometimes ignorance really is bliss...
Back to top Go down
http://ftwgamingnetwork.one-forum.net
Everlong

avatar

Number of posts : 156
Age : 25

PostSubject: Re: The Wii U......   Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:39 pm

Forsaken Pride 44 wrote:
Ah, so no Gamecube controllers after all...a shame indeed. No Gamecube compatibility as well, from what I understand. 3DS compatibility may be interesting, but it doesn't really catch my attention personally, as forementioned, I don't much care for handhelds.

Yeah, no GameCube compatibility. It's a bummer, but I think it's logical. Nintendo might possibly offer a similar service to PSOne Classics or whatever equivalent the 360 has for original Xbox games, though, for GameCube stuff. It's also a reason to still keep your Wii (or even GameCube; I've never honestly played a single GameCube game on it because I have the original system). While I would definitely like a 3DS at some point, I share your general 'meh' attitude towards using it as a controller. But Iwata has stated they'd like for a greater interaction between the Wii U and 3DS somehow.

Forsaken Pride 44 wrote:
I will agree that the success of the Wii certainly hinges on 3rd part support and Nintendo's ability to cater to both the hardcore AND the casual crowd, as Microsoft is doing no with some measure of success. I will say that Nintendo's credibility with the hardcore crowd will be difficult to attain unfortunately...especially after this recent "Project Rainfall" debacle...

Yeah...

It certainly doesn't bode well for Nintendo in this regard. They're not off to a great start convincing 'hardcore' gamers that the Wii U is for them if they won't bring over any of the titles Project Rainfall wants. But then again, they are a business; they have to calculate everything they do and see if its worth the risk. There's a reason, for example, non-Japanese Mother/Earthbound fans never got the first game or third game over here. Nintendo just didn't see it as economically viable. I'm not really excusing them, just explaining.

Though, of course, fan projects have achieved amazing results before. Perhaps they'll actually succeed. They've stated they've only just begun to petition Nintendo.

Personally, I'm sort of curious as to what the Virtual Console will entail this time around. I can't remember where I read it (if it was a rumor or not) but I believe that it's been discussed, similarly to how the 3DS will receive 3D versions of classics, the Wii U will have select titles updated to be in HD.

Sega plans on placing their support with Nintendo so, I think, the recent HD Sonic will get ported, likely enough. I'm sure Saturn and Dreamcast games will also find their way (finally!) onto the Wii U as well. Let's have that HD update of Earthworm Jim as well, eh, Nintendo?

I wish Microsoft and Rare would let bygones be bygones and allow Nintendo to put Perfect Dark and the Banjo-Kazooie games on the Wii U...
Back to top Go down
StarRoadWarrior
Administrator
avatar

Number of posts : 3626
Age : 27

PostSubject: Re: The Wii U......   Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:54 pm

Everlong wrote:
I'm honestly not that worried. I trust Nintendo know what they're doing with this new piece of technology and I think they're going to pull through just fine. They have an excellent start - there are many third party companies looking eagerly to get their hands on the Wii U, or at least approve of it. This is a very good first step. Nintendo really needs to focus on courting third parties as much as possible while also creating great first party titles. But this doesn't matter if they can't convince anyone. Yes, right now (though apparently this might change), it majorly sucks only one Wii U controller will present with the system; this is undeniable. I honestly hope it's changed by the end - keep in mind, much of what we saw at E3 is actually a prototype version. It could very well change by the time it launches next year.

so far both EA and Ubisoft have given there full support to the wii u development which is great because i really like most of ubisofts game (assassin's creed) by far best news i have heard is NO FRIEND CODES!!! but online profiles like live and PSN and that is by far the best news ever in my book. speaking of online nintendo has encouraged companies to make the online the way they want it meaning dont hold back also a plus. i guess i can also say i like that the system is bigger also meaning it should be able to do more (or at least i thinks it should) im really looking forward to see was nintendo has up its sleeves with this new tec and other companies as well now with the 2nd screen there will be less clutter on the tv and more on the controller. maybe for like the new smash the damage meter and time will be on the controller idk just an idea

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=819220343&amp
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator
avatar

Number of posts : 2293
Age : 30

PostSubject: Re: The Wii U......   Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:02 pm

Profiles would be a huge benefit...hope they have something akin to trophies/gamerscore. That'd really make a good impression on me, since I'm not overly thrilled with the controller.

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
--Arrogance is Weakness
In order to possess pride, you must first possess shame.

--Which would you prefer? Cheap Happiness or sublime suffering?
Perhaps sometimes ignorance really is bliss...
Back to top Go down
http://ftwgamingnetwork.one-forum.net
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: The Wii U......   

Back to top Go down
 
The Wii U......
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
For the Win! Gamer's Network :: Consoles and Platforms :: Nintendo Games and Consoles-
Jump to: